Here is a copy of a post by one Lord Hylton, http://lordsoftheblog.net
and of MilesJSD’s critical comment thereto:
The Failure of the Two-State Solution – The Prospects of One-State in Israel/Palestine
This book presents nineteen essays, nearly all by academics and scholars, from Israel and Palestine and the wider world. It examines the prospects and problems for both two-state and one-state solutions.
Its starting point is the divided nature of the Palestinian nation, with 1.2 million people is Israel, some 3.9 millions in the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem, and 5.2 millions as external refugees or in the wider diaspora.
It points out that the mere establishment of a state in the West Bank and Gaza will not of itself resolve the future of the refugees or the inferior status of the Palestinians in Israel.
It throws interesting light on the Misrahi, or oriental Jews in Israel, and the role of women among them. Could they combine with Palestinians to demand social justice for all?
The authors encourage both Jews and Gentiles to use moral imagination in perceiving the Jewish people and faith as universalists, blessing both the Middle East and the wider world. This has indeed been the vision of some of the greatest Jews of recent times.
The essays are particularly noteworthy. Salman H Abu Sitta argues that the State of Israel could in fact accommodate a large proportion of the Palestinian refugees, since only 11% of the land surface is populated, leaving 89% for all other uses (of which agriculture only occupies 14.2%).
Professor Ghada Karmi urges the need for a worldwide One Nation campaign and draws parallels with the Anti-Apartheid Campaign, which helped to end white supremacy in South Africa, by insisting on equal citizenship for all. Other authors expose the complete dependence of the Palestinian Authority on funds from outside, and Israel’s manipulation of East Jerusalem.
This is a book that may widen all horizons and help to prevent the future of the Palestinian refugees being forever forgotten.
20/02/2014 at 6:53 pm
The bottom line outcome sought appears to be compounded of:
1. Cetera ParIbus that the prevailing World Governing Oligarchisms can not only remain Benign and never Malign, but also bringing our Human Race on this Earth1 within this Earth1′s and our current Civilisations’ means:
[jsdm: "How Many People Can Live On Planet Earth" reveals that We are consuming, wasting, destroying, and extincting,
Two(2) Earthsworths of Stock and Resources;
which if not sawing off the branch we are sitting upon, then what 'common-sense', 'madness' or 'genius' is it ?]:-
2. “Social justice for all”:
[jsdm: which surely pre-requires 'social justice by all' which in turn requires a commonly-generic and egalitarian
the like of which is not even available from the United Nations whose Aggregate Human Development pyramidal-model and Index "Longevity x Knowledge x Wealth" is Top-Down-Directively "One-Size-Fits-All", Procrustean Ethnic "Cleansings" and Lifeforms-Extinctual etceteras not banned but included as "best possible compromise solutions"].
3. “Mortal imagination” solutions, by all
4. “One Nation” education for all ;
[jsdm: both of the latter pre-require Worldwide Participatively-Cooperative-Needs-&-Hows Recognition Training
and Governance/Democratisational Education or Training].
Nor has a published critical-body ever agreed any sort of workable pyramidal Priorities List, of Common Human Needs :-
[jsdm: for The Lifeplace as distinct from The Workplaces’
and the Battlefields’
Special Skills and One-Way Non-Negotiable Rules].
please read “Moral imagination” (by all).
“Nation” means “The People”
“Nation-State” means both Territory and the Constitutional Government of The People and that Territory.
So what one lot of People need should surely be exactly equal to what another lot of People need, shouldn’t it ?
We’re not talking mere “wants” and “wishes”, and “luxuries” and “bonuses” here;
just essential Needs,
all-round essentially-egalitarianly-sustain-worthy lifestyling
in every area of the human-being’s body-mind-spirit thrival essentials, and habitats’ workable-limits and boundaries.
There has to be a far less wasteful, imbalanced and imbalancing Alternative
to the Upside-Down “Best people ‘Need’ manifoldly multiple human-livings, each”;
and hugely extravagant and ‘overkill’
“Lifesupports, Luxuries, and Private Protections,
even Personal-Bodyguards and Armies”
for their “Nero-fiddles whilst Rome burns” delusory “success-careers & lifestyles”: